- • 2 ÚNICA brand cans of Jack Mackerel
- • 1.8 kg potatoes cooked in salted water
- • 100 g butter or margarine
- • 1 dash grated nutmeg (optional)
- • 6 egg yolks
- • 3 medium sized red or white onions, finely diced
- • 2 tsp paprika (red pepper powder)
- • 1 tsp oregano
- • Flour (helps absorb humidity from the potatoes)
- • 1 cup breadcrumbs
- • ½ cup cold water
- • 1 l frying vegetable oil
- • 1 egg
- • Salt and pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on a skillet and add the diced onions. Add the paprika (red pepper powder) and oregano, stir and season with salt and pepper. Let it cook for 30 minutes at low heat, stirring occasionally. If it gets dry, just add some cold water as needed. Add the Jack Mackerel, already minced and drained, and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
Mash the potatoes, add margarine, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and mix all together. Add the egg yolks one at a time.
Set three bowls: one with a beaten egg, another with some flour, and a third bowl with breadcrumbs.
Put some flour in your hands and shape the potatoes mix into medium-sized balls, like the size of the palm of your hand. Slightly smash each potato ball and leave a cavity in the middle. Put some of the jack mackerel filling inside. Close it in a semi oval shape, very carefully, dredge in flour, discard any excess flour, then dip it in the beaten egg and finally coat it with breadcrumbs.
Let it cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
Deep fry in vegetable oil at 180°C for 4 to 8 minutes approximately.